UK #1 Feel Bliss Radio News Warning issued after student attempted to prepare popular snack and ended up setting their kitchen on fire

Warning issued after student attempted to prepare popular snack and ended up setting their kitchen on fire


Fire chiefs have issued a warning after a student’s attempt to cook breakfast ended in a fire that required emergency services to be called to their accommodation earlier this week.

The student in question had attempted to make cheese on toast but had utilised the toaster in the wrong way by turning it sideways and using it as a grill. After placing the cheese and bread inside the toaster, the student walked away, which ultimately led to the outbreak of the fire.

London Fire Brigade shared a video that displays the aftermath of the fire which occurred on February 13 at a three-storey student accommodation block located on Avery Hill Road in London. The kitchen was completely destroyed, and the roof and walls sustained severe damage. Fortunately, no injuries were reported in the incident.

Firefighters have now cautioned people against attempting similar hacks and have advised them to only use “electrical products for their designated use.”. A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “The fire started after a resident placed a toaster on its side and inserted bread and cheese. They then left it cooking unattended.

“Only use electrical products for their designated use. Toasters need to be kept clean to prevent fires and are not designed to be used on their side. Not only does it generate heat onto the work surface but the dry left-over crumbs from the bottom of the toaster can get onto the hot elements and ignite.

“It’s also really important that you always check toasters and other appliances are turned off and unplugged when not in use, unless they’re designed to be left on, like your fridge or freezer.

“Keep clutter to a minimum on your kitchen work surfaces especially near toasters and hobs as they can accidentally switch them on or catch fire.”

The fire was reported at 10:40 am, and emergency services were quick to respond. Within 40 minutes, the fire was brought under control. Four fire engines and approximately 25 firefighters from the Sidcup, Bexley, East Greenwich, and Lee Green fire stations attended the scene to tackle the fire.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *